Monday, February 15, 2016

New Painting!

Hello Everyone,

I have been busy these last few months working on paintings from my September trip to Colorado. One of the places I painted was in Mt. Evans, in central Colorado. Mountain goats can be found at the top of this mountain. When I arrived there I set up my easel to plein air paint, despite the fact that the winds were incredibly strong. Mountain goats have no problem with this, but painting in strong wind always gives me a feeling of urgency and even slight anxiety. However, I was able to get a quick sketch of one goat that was bedded down for a time. This sketch proved invaluable for capturing the colors and glow that the camera missed.

This new painting, "Mountain Glow" depicts a trio of mountain goats bathed in afternoon light. The tundra grasses display a slight autumn color, yet the goats still maintain some of their previous winter coat which will soon be replaced by their new winter coat. The dark shadow side of the more distant mountain side emphasizes the glow on the coats of these beautiful and rugged creatures.

Mountain Glow
Oil on Belgian Linen, 18x36
$6,000, custom distressed wood frame with gold liner.
Contact Jason@JasonTako.com to inquire.

No comments: