Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Evening Sheep, oil on linen panel, 11"x14"


During a plein air event in Vermont, I saw this barn and had to paint it. It was not yet sunset but the mountain behind me had long since blocked the sun from this scene. Given this limitation, I decided to leave out any livestock and focus in getting the barn and the hills in. I was fairly happy with the painting and decided to exhibit it during the competition. While it received good reviews I felt it still needed something else to make it an even better painting.

I brought the painting home and showed it to my wife Becky and expressed my thoughts. She looked at it, and after some contemplation said it needed some sheep. I then remembered how I had thought of putting sheep in but let go of the idea due to the rapidly diminishing light. Within a few minutes I had carefully blocked in the sheep and was very pleased with the results. My beautiful wife has saved more than a few paintings over the years.

Like most of my paintings, this one was painted with a limited palette of Cadmium Lemon, Cadmium Red, Ultramarine Blue and Titanium White, applied to Belgium Linen mounted on a laminated birch wood panel, materials of the highest museum-grade archival quality. The bulk of the painting was completed en plein air in about an hour and a half. Minor adjustments, as well as the sheep were added later in the studio. The hills of Vermont are filled with beauty and a feeling of simpler times long past, as this painting forever captures.

Evening Sheep
Oil on linen panel, 11"x14"
$890.00. Contact Bucks County Gallery of Fine Art to inquire 215-862-5272.

No comments: